Tuesday 30 August 2011

Pre departure

Its hard to believe that 15 months have now passed since that first journey to London for the VSO selection process and then hearing that I had been accepted onto the programme. I was unprepared for the vast amount of paperwork and continual form filling that was to be required but the two training events, one in Northampton and the second in Birmingham helped to focus my attention on the role of a VSO volunteer, the challenges that may be encountered and the importance of the support network which becomes established amongst your fellow volunteers.


The online training highlighted issues surrounding conflict and corruption and how you would deal with these situations should they occur and throughout the whole process there is a constant personal search to make sure that you really are the right person for the job.

It is now only 3 days before departure and I would be lying if I didn't confess to several sleepless nights wondering if I am doing the right thing but I know once I am out in Rwanda my focus will change to the role of district education management adviser that I have been selected for.



Packing has been a nightmare, what to take and what to leave behind, lists that are supplied by other volunteers always highlight at least one more thing I hadn't thought of, my two cases are bulging and there is no way that my shiny new motor bike helmet will fit into either, if there's a problem I'll offer to wear it on my head!


I'm so grateful to all my friends and family for all the wonderful send offs I've had and the thoughtful gifts you have given me to take, the kind wishes and cards that I have received are a constant reminder of how much I am leaving behind but those of you who know me well, know how much I have always wanted to do something like this and now the opportunity has arrived.
                           Jungle theme birthday celebration, spot who gets the glamorous outfit!

8 comments:

  1. Hi karen

    I loved the zebra ears! Bon voyage, Px

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Karen this is a test message

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Karen, Think I've got the hang of it now. Meg was having problems too but I will help her when she is back from Kinross. Hope you are all packed and ready for the off, take care,

    Jan.xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Karen
    In with no problems but unable to open up the pics. By the time you read this you will be there, cannot wait to find out how you got on with the journey, plus helmet!! Take care. Mxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Think I've cracked it - soon find out.LoL Meg

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope you're well and the butterflies have gone. Think I've found my way into this new (to me) technology! Love the animal print photo. Good luck again!
    Love Jackie

    ReplyDelete